Sterile Processing Technician Schools In Arkansas – Find Programs
Sterile processing technicians are essential in surgery centers, hospitals, and dentist’s offices. Without them, critical safety standards couldn’t be met and vital equipment wouldn’t be properly sterilized.
If this important role sounds interesting to you, then we’re here to help.
In this guide, we’ll cover the licensing and certification requirements you’ll need to become a sterile processing technician in Arkansas. We’ll also take a look at some of the best sterile processing technician schools in Arkansas, your salary and job prospects, and where to find jobs.
Licensing & Certification Requirements For A Sterile Processing Technician In Arkansas
Arkansas isn’t one of the four US states that require a processing technician to be certified. Still, most sterile processing technician jobs in Arkansas do require applicants to be certified. This means that you should look to take a national certification exam.
The most reputable of these is the Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification which is awarded by the Healthcare Sterile Processing Association.
In order to be certified as a sterile processing technician, you must sit an exam that costs $125. The certification also requires you to have extensive experience in a laboratory, totalling 400 hours.
Some of the requirements for this sterile processing technician certification include:
- Correct preparation and packaging of sterilized equipment: 120 hours
- Quality assurance standards: 24 hours
- Disinfecting and sterilizing methods: 96 hours
- Techniques of decontamination: 120 hours
- Methods of distribution and storage: 24 hours
- Use of sterilizing equipment: 16 hours
This specific certification has to be renewed annually. Sterile processing technician grads are also able to acquire extra certification related to areas such as managing a sterile processing department.
Other certification that sterile processing technician grads can gain includes processing endoscopes and certification in instrumentation. This will improve your knowledge of surgical technology.
The requirements to be accepted for this sterile processing program include:
- Being at least 18 years old
- Holding a high school or general equivalency diploma
- You may also be asked to pass a criminal background check and a drug screening
The Best Education Programs For A Sterile Processing Technician In Arkansas
Some of the best sterile processing technician schools in Arkansas are:
- Northwest Technical Institute: This school is based in Springdale and trains sterile processing technicians so that they’re ready for their certification exams. The program takes place on weekday evenings so it’s ideal if you already have a job.
- Southeast Arkansas College: This school is based in Pine Bluff. It teaches you everything you need to pass the certification exam. This includes learning to sterilize surgical instruments and specific surgical technology.
- MedCerts: This is an online course that prepares you for your certification exam. It’s a great choice if you’re looking for flexibility and provides you with excellent job placements.
What’s The Job Outlook For A Sterile Processing Technician In Arkansas?
The current outlook for sterile processing technician careers is overwhelmingly positive. In the US, it’s estimated that the number of sterile processing technician jobs will see an 8% increase by 2028.
Being a sterile processing technician is an important role that includes sterilizing specialized equipment and surgical instruments. It’s a job that most people find to be very rewarding.
What’s The Average Annual Salary For A Sterile Processing Technician In Arkansas?
The average annual salary for a sterile processing technician in Arkansas is around $32,700. However, those with high-paying sterile processing technician jobs can expect to earn around $43,000 annually.
This makes sterile processing technician careers rewarding both financially and professionally.
Where To Find Work As A Sterile Processing Technician In Arkansas
The best places to find sterile processing technician jobs tend to be popular job websites. You could try Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster.
Some sterile processing technician schools in Arkansas are also able to help their graduates find jobs once they’ve achieved certification. Overall, the prospects for sterile processing technician grads are very good.
Are sterile processing technician careers stressful?
No, sterile processing technician careers are not usually too stressful. Although the role does involve heavy workloads and high standards, patient interaction is very limited. This makes it a lot less stressful than other healthcare roles.
Is the sterile processing technician exam difficult?
The CRCST exam is certainly not easy. You need to be fully prepared before you take it to make sure that you pass. In 2021, 75% of the students that took the exam passed. So, 1 in 4 people who took the exam didn’t pass it.